The Team Alberta Challenge is a core Hockey Alberta U16 development event and the first stage Team Alberta Female Program. This event only occurs in the off years of the Alberta Winter Games. As part of the program, an emphasis is placed on the development and identification of Alberta’s best hockey people; that might have an opportunity to represent Alberta at future national or international events. The U16 program leads able participants through the development process to the Team Alberta Program – U17 or U18.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Dressing Room Setup
- Bench Management
- Equipment skills
- Skate Sharpening
- Injury Care
- Taping & Wrapping Skills
- Communication skills within a team
- General Preparation and Organization
The following categories detail the criteria employed in the selection process for staffing Team Alberta Programs. These are only guidelines and welcome everyone interested in applying:
a) Professional Development
- Qualifications and certification attained - (CPR/First Aid, Hockey Canada Safety Program, Sport First Responder, CATA Certification, Certificate or Diploma in Sport Physiotherapy, Certification Candidate in CATA or Sport Physiotherapy, SMCA Athletic First Aid, SMCA Sports Taping)
- Attendance and participation at related seminars
- Memberships and affiliations
- Years of experience in your selected field
- Scope of experience (teams, responsibilities, events, tournament play)
- Years of experience with this level of athlete
Previous zone or provincial experience (preference given to experience in Team Alberta programs)
c) Hockey Support Staff Experience
- Experience in prevention, recognition, assessment and care of athletic injuries of a hockey nature, including return to play decisions
- Must be able to handle/repair equipment, sharpen skates and respond to needs of athletes in a competitive hockey environment.
- Must have experience in athletic taping and strapping.
- Experience in physical fitness training and testing
- Implementing a practical team nutrition program.
- Must be experienced with the needs of elite athletes and be willing to spend long hours ensuring equipment and team needs are being met as assigned by head Coach and Director of Operations.
d) Human Resources
- Proven ability to take initiative and efficiently use time
- Proven ability to work with other staff
- Proven ability to successfully relate to and work with players at this age level
- Proven ability to successfully cope with deterrents and hardships in a pressure situation
- Proven ability to be thoroughly organized
e) Knowledge of Program
- Proven ability to work towards objectives of a program
- Proven appreciation for and awareness of the unique problems that can conceivably occur in the operation of a zone team
** Preference will be given to CATA Certified
Therapists; Certificate or Diploma holders
in Sport Physiotherapy or Certification Candidates in CATA or Sport Physiotherapy**
Note: All trainer jobs are volunteer